Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hannibal


I am pleasantly surprised to realise that Hannibal is my first english TV series in my 19 years. I'm much of a romance person, but this horror, thrilling, and criminalistic TV series captivated me and even made it to my firsts list. That was unexpected, and definitely unpredictable.



Hannibal is based on the novel, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Apart from the characters, the story is a little bit different from the novel itself. This adaptation focuses on exploring the early relationship of the Head of Behavioral Science Jack Crawford, a gifted profiler who is able to enter the minds of the killers, Will Graham, and a renown psychiatrist, and an acute, cannibalistic serial killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

Red Dragon is the first novel among its trilogy, The Silence of The Lamb and Hannibal. A prequel of the novels, Hannibal Rising puts Hannibal as the main character and tells the turns of events that has moulded Hannibal to become a serial killer.

Coming back to the TV adaptation, I have to say I didn't catch what they were saying most of the time, especially with the incomprehensible accent that Mads Mikkelsen uniquely possesses. I had the hardest time figuring out what he was saying compared to the other characters. It would be, in my opinion, an added asset to understand the story deeper if I have read the story before watching the series. But to that, i have to say that the second screen app has been a great tool in terms of bridging the story, and giving backgrounds to the novels.

As of now, no Kinokuniya outlet has stocks for the novels. A disappointment beyond belief. Unless of course the staff is keeping it away from me for whatever reason, or it's high probability that the books are not available for purchase.

I'm just glad there is this thing called "Torrent" because Singapore is two episodes behind NBC. With that, I should try to impart as little information as i can. Lest a spoiler :P

On the side note, I can truly understand how difficult ratings can be achieved. With all the information easily accessible on the internet, it's a wonder how a channel, or a show is able to maintain a continuously high viewers, and ratings. It is even astonishing that people stil turn on the television. I have been told many times in lectures and in books, the power of the internet, but i never understood how overwhelmingly poignant it is until i became the user.


Among the casts, it was clear right from the beginning that Mads Mikkelsen is the man for "Hannibal". The first time i clapped eyes upon the advertising poster, the feeling comes to me that "Hannibal" was tailor made for Mads Mikkelsen. It should be noted that this TV series has an elegant feel to it that is slightly different from the other Hannibal films. So, I would assume that the treatment of the show could have been an important factor that made Mickkelsen stood out from the rest.


However, as much as he was brilliant in the show, the one person that has me foraging for his other works is Hugh Dancy, who played Will Graham. Watch out for his acting in episode 11, Roti. He had me believing that he has really gone mad in that episode. I would say his best acting thus far from all the episodes. :D

It is still a mystery how I became magnetically attracted to him. I did end up watching his movie, "Hysteria", a romantic comedy based on the true story of the eventual invention of the sex toy which is known presently as vibrators.


No comments:

Post a Comment